Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Swim Classes!!!


I love swimming in the summer. SO do my boys! Phoenix Parks and Rec offers swim classes close that we decided to do that this summer. Mason and I are in a Mommy and Me class together and Porter is in the swim level 1 class. Just like with soccer Porter's had a hard time with groups of kids and wasn't having the best time at first. He kept telling my how his teacher would throw him in and he would touch the bottom, "I didn't like that mom". I was in a class myself so I couldn't be there encouraging him the whole time. Fortunately some of the other life guards saw the need and jumped in to give Porter some private lessons. He's been doing so well!! I'm so proud of him. He's been thrown off or jumped off the diving board several times and swam to the side safely. He'll swim to me from the side or jump into the pool and swim to me quite a ways. I love getting to see him learn and improve. He's doing so good! Mason is quite the fish too. I almost thought he was too old for the class because he already does everything they ask him to do. He did however get the stitches in his finger in the middle of the course. So we had 4 more days of swimming but he wasn't allowed to put his finger in the nasty water for those days. The first two days I just held his hand out of the water myself. Then I let him keep it out the next couple days. He did really good remembering to keep it out. Sometimes a little too good. He would jump in the water and almost drown because he would NOT put his left hand in the water to help get up. He was really devoted to keeping that finger dry. Even going down the slide that finger would stay nice and high, out of the water. One day I would go down and then once I was at the bottom he would come down after me. For a little boy that slide would whip him around and by the time I saw him he was on his back face first....BUT that hand was way up in the air NOT getting wet!! Too funny.

3 comments:

Joyzelle said...

Good to see you back on your blog. Looks like fun (all except poor Mason and his finger.

Brianne said...

So funny that he was so protective of his finger from the water. What a determined little boy you have.

Shillene Hancock said...

Such Cute Boys!! Kathryn your family is Great... Awesome Pictures~!!